РљРѕРЅСЃРїРµРєС‚ СѓСЂРѕРєР° РІ 11-Рј РєР»Р°СЃСЃРµ РёР· СЌР»РµРєС‚РёРІРЅРѕРіРѕ РєСѓСЂСЃР° "Seeds"
Topic: Extensive Reading
Objectives: Students will learn to think critically about ways of staying a human being. Students will be able to discuss ways of dealing with social problems. Students will be given an opportunity to reflect upon the text.
Skills development: Students will practice reading for gist and for detail. They will discuss implied meaning. They will practice understanding the authorвЂ™s message.
Mulberry Leaves into Silk Gowns By Brenda Y., San Antonio, TX
Both of his legs were gone, torn away by some misfortune of birth or circumstance, ending in stumps just above where his knees would have been. One shoulder was sunken, rolled into his chest, rendering his arm the victim of awkward angles and distorted movements. Clad in rags and a patched вЂ“ together blanket, he moved with the lurching grace of a wounded gazelle, situated on a makeshift skateboard, propelling himself forward with pushes from his remaining limbs.
He was selling books on the street in Harbin, China, when I first saw him: a frightening figure with matted hair like a black swallowвЂ™s nest, hunched over an expanse of books with faded covers and torn pages, faint reminders of stories that once held audiences spellbound.
вЂњThe palest ink is better than the best memory.вЂќ Clinging unabashedly to my motherвЂ™s arm while traversing the chaotic streets of urban China, these were the first words I heard the man speak, four melodic syllables which characterize Chinese proverbs: beauty in succinctness, infinite meanings in the briefest of moments. With only a cursory understanding of such nuances and nervous jitters of an unknown environment, I all but scuttled away.
вЂњOne cannot refuse to eat just because there is a chance of being choked.вЂќ
вЂњBetter to light a candle than to curse the darkness.вЂќ
вЂњWe are not so much concerned if you are slow as when you come to a halt.вЂќ
Each time I passed that street corner with the broken bookseller (вЂњProverb Man,вЂќ my grandpa called him, adding, вЂњHe is as permanent a fixture to our province as the walls are to my homeвЂќ), the more details I gleaned, the less aversion I felt for his twisted body, and the greater my curiosity grew. The next time I saw him, his proverb being something about a hare and tree, I asked in fumbling Mandarin the titles of books he carried. He answered with some unfamiliar names, and suddenly words were tumbling out of me: вЂњWhy are you here? Why do you sell books? Why do you recite proverbs?вЂќ
He looked at me, beady eyes peering out through dust and dirt, really looked, then answered, вЂњWith time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.вЂќ And it was then that I began to see, peeking through cracks between his crude dialect, his rags, the dirt, and his glaring absence of limbs. Here was a man who was strong and good and kind, whose attributes could only be described with the most fundamental of adjectives in the English language.
He went on to explain, with an enviable succinctness, that he was born poor, lost limbs to infection and disease, barely survived the Communist Revolution, and salvaged what remained of his familyвЂ™s books to create some sort of living. Physically torn by misfortune from an early age, distraught in mind from political discord, and economically doomed from the start, it was a miracle that such experiences had not shred his humanity to ribbons. Instead he possessed an offbeat brand of wisdom, a sense of what was right, and an innate grace that outshone his environment.
The strength of his perseverance and dedication to earn a living has stayed with me since that summer. The ability to move forward despite tremendous setbacks, to stay human and kind, to retain the ability to smile and laugh вЂ“ this is a monumental achievement in an age so prone to desolation and self-pity.
If a man in rags, uneducated and crippled, can find it in himself to persevere, what excuse does that leave the rest of us? Drugs, alcohol, and giving up on oneвЂ™s life seem inane choices in comparison. What is a bad test grade in the face of a missing leg, a botched relationship compared to no home?
I bought a book from this man before I returned home; its corners are rounded and its spine creased from overuse. It is a book of proverbs, and one quote is purposefully marked: вЂњThe longer the night lasts, the more our dreams will be.вЂќ
Add these words and definitions to your vocabulary file. For each word include a sentence that gives you an example of how to use the word.
- to traverse вЂ“ РїРµСЂРµСЃРµРєР°С‚СЊ, РѕР±СЃСѓР¶РґР°С‚СЊ
- clad (РѕС‚ clothe) вЂ“ РѕРґРµС‚С‹Р№
- rags вЂ“ Р»РѕС…РјРѕС‚СЊСЏ
- to lurch вЂ“ РёРґС‚Рё С€Р°С‚Р°СЏСЃСЊ
- spellbound (РѕС‚ spellbind) вЂ“ РѕС‡Р°СЂРѕРІС‹РІР°С‚СЊ
- cursory вЂ“ Р±РµРіР»С‹Р№, РїРѕРІРµСЂС…РЅРѕСЃС‚РЅС‹Р№
- jitters вЂ“ РЅРµСЂРІРЅРѕРµ РІРѕР·Р±СѓР¶РґРµРЅРёРµ, РёСЃРїСѓРі
- a mulberry вЂ“ С€РµР»РєРѕРІРёС†Р°, С‚СѓС‚РѕРІРѕРµ РґРµСЂРµРІРѕ
- limbs вЂ“ РєРѕРЅРµС‡РЅРѕСЃС‚Рё
- to persevere вЂ“ СЃС‚РѕР№РєРѕ, СѓРїРѕСЂРЅРѕ РїСЂРѕРґРѕР»Р¶Р°С‚СЊ; СѓРїРѕСЂРЅРѕ РґРѕР±РёРІР°С‚СЊСЃСЏ
- aversion вЂ“ РѕС‚РІСЂР°С‰РµРЅРёРµ, Р°РЅС‚РёРїР°С‚РёСЏ
- succinct вЂ“ СЃР¶Р°С‚С‹Р№, РєСЂР°С‚РєРёР№
- beady вЂ“ РјР°Р»РµРЅСЊРєРёР№ Рё Р±Р»РµСЃС‚СЏС‰РёР№ (Рѕ РіР»Р°Р·Р°С…)
- distraught вЂ“ РїРѕС‚РµСЂСЏРІС€РёР№ СЂР°СЃСЃСѓРґРѕРє, РѕР±РµР·СѓРјРµРІС€РёР№ (РѕС‚ РіРѕСЂСЏ)
- to salvage вЂ“ СЃРїР°СЃР°С‚СЊ (РєРѕСЂР°Р±Р»СЊ, РёРјСѓС‰РµСЃС‚РІРѕ)
- to shred (shredded, shred) вЂ“ РєСЂРѕРјСЃР°С‚СЊ, СЂРІР°С‚СЊ РЅР° РєР»РѕС‡РєРё
- offbeat вЂ“ РЅРµРѕР±С‹С‡РЅС‹Р№, СЌРєСЃС†РµРЅС‚СЂРёС‡РЅС‹Р№
- prone вЂ“ СЃРєР»РѕРЅРЅС‹Р№
- crippled вЂ“ РєР°Р»РµРєР°, РёСЃРєР°Р»РµС‡РµРЅРЅС‹Р№
- discord вЂ“ СЂР°Р·РЅРѕРіР»Р°СЃРёРµ, СЂР°Р·Р»Р°Рґ, СЂР°Р·РґРѕСЂС‹, РґРёСЃРіР°СЂРјРѕРЅРёСЏ
- to outshine (outshone) вЂ“ Р·Р°С‚РјРёС‚СЊ
- inane вЂ“ РіР»СѓРїС‹Р№, Р±РµСЃСЃРјС‹СЃР»РµРЅРЅС‹Р№
- botch вЂ“ 1. 1) Р·Р°РїР»Р°С‚Р°; 2) РїР»РѕС…Рѕ СЃРґРµР»Р°РЅРЅР°СЏ СЂР°Р±РѕС‚Р°;
2. 1)СЃРґРµР»Р°С‚СЊ РЅРµР±СЂРµР¶РЅРѕ, РїРѕСЂС‚РёС‚СЊ 2) РЅРµСѓРјРµР»Рѕ Р»Р°С‚Р°С‚СЊ
Topics for Discussing
Give Russian equivalents.
torn away; shoulder was sunken; the victim of awkward angles; clad in rags; a patched вЂ“ together blanket; the lurching grace of a wounded gazelle; hair like a black swallowвЂ™s nest; beauty in succinctness; a chance of being choked; twisted body; beady eyes; peering out through dust and dirt; glaring absence of limbs; salvaged what remained; economically doomed; so prone to desolation and self вЂ“ pity; to stay human and kind; uneducated and crippled; inane choices; in comparison; what is a bad test grade in the face of a missing leg; a botched relationship compared to no home; its spine creased from overuse; purposefully marked;
1) Describe BrendaвЂ™s first impressions of the Chinese bookseller. Why did she change her attitude?
2) How would you describe the Chinese bookseller вЂ“ the main character in this short story?
Explain the following:
1.The ability to move forward despite tremendous setbacks, to stay human and kind, to retain the ability to smile and laugh вЂ“ this is a monumental achievement in an age so prone to desolation and self вЂ“ pity.
2. If a man in rags, uneducated and crippled, can find it in himself to persevere, what excuse does that leave the rest of us?
3. It was a miracle that such experiences had not shred his humanity to ribbons.
Look at the picture. What images does it have? How do you think it can be connected with the story?
Comment on BrendaвЂ™s attitude towards the man.
вЂњThe palest ink is better than the best memory.вЂќ вЂњThe longer the night lasts, the more our dreams will be.вЂќ вЂњWith time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.вЂќ вЂњOne cannot refuse to eat just because there is a chance of being choked.вЂќ Choose one of the Chinese proverbs and comment on it.
Comment on the title of the story.
Think of someone you know or know of whose real life is worth telling about вЂ“ exciting, heroic and unusual. What is that person like? List his or her three main character traits.
Урок химии в 8-м классе по теме "Химические реакции. Закон сохранения массы веществ" :: Урок "Углерод и его соединения". 9-й класс :: Элективный курс "Органическая химия и здровье людей" :: Ведение домашнего эксперимента в процессе обучения химии семиклассников :: Технологическая карта лабораторной работы в 8-м классе по теме: "Изучение закона сохранения механической энергии" :: Планета обезьян: Война ( War for the Planet of the Apes ), 2017 :: Дом и дача/Мебель/Мебель для кухни/Новый Год/Праздничный стол/Стулья и табуреты / Avanti / Стул С-221 ::
Отзывы (через аккаунты в социальных сетях Вконтакте, Facebook или Google+):
Оставить отзыв с помощью аккаунта ВКонтакте:
Оставить отзыв с помощью аккаунта FaceBook:
Оставить отзыв с помощью аккаунта Google+: